Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Mother's Day gift ideas

Idea #1: Green Berry Topiary
Idea #2: Pot of Flowers
For the first project I covered a 5" styrofoam ball with Itsy-BEAD-sies, bowl and vase fillers. (I originally planned on using red berries on the stem but saw these at Hobby Lobby and loved the color and they ended up working great-they have a few variety of colors too.)  Then I used Glossy Wood stain in a spray paint can and sprayed a wooden dowel.  I poked the ball in on one end and the other end I put in the pot with desert foam.  Then I covered it with spanish moss and put a bow around it.  It was really easy and fairly cheap, just took a little time to put the foam balls on.

The second project I saw on someones site where they used real flowers.  I just bought fake ones and put 9 flowers together and bound them with a rubber band up close to the flower.  Then I covered them with floral tape.  I then stuck them in a pot with desert foam, covered them with spanish moss, and put a bow around it. 

These aren't completly my own ideas just ideas I've seen and then tweeked them to make them my own, but they were really easy so I wanted to share in case anyone wanted to make some for their mothers this weekend.  Enjoy!

12 comments:

Cinderella, the A-Train and Our Little Caboose said...

Very cute Kara! I especially love the first one, I may make that for myself!!

Sarah said...

Cute ideas, Kara! How are you? We miss you!

Ryan and Brittney said...

You're so crafty! Cute ideas!

Alisa said...

SO cute! love the first one! what are those beads?! never heard of them.

Cara said...

Cute. I put some of those beads on some Christmas ornament balls. Man that is time consuming for sure but so cute when it is all done.

Wilkey Party of Five said...

Kara~What cute ideas! We miss seeing you guys. I am so bummed that we can't do swim lessons when you will be here! I love all the recent pictures of Mylee!

Kate Perkes said...

Kara!
Such cute ideas, I have been lookin for a couple of crafty ideas for our home. Keep the ideas comin... How are you guys? I am so bummed we never got to hang out. Where are my kids going to learn how to swim now?? =) Hope you guys are liking your new place. Hope you get to come back to Boise soon! =)

Gunnell Fam said...

Thanks for sharing, Kara! I love the topiaries, too. We're moving into our own home in a few weeks and I've been looking for cute decorating ideas. Whoo hoo! :)

Stacy said...

Oh wow, I love those Kara! I think I'm going to make some for my mom and myself! :)

Tory and Elizabeth said...

Love the ideas. And I love it when people post cute projects and crafts because I am so not crafty/creative and need lots of ideas.

Serena said...

Both ideas are super-cute! Thanks for posting them... I just might steal your ideas! I hope you have an awesome day!

Marc, Michelle, Jackson, and Bennett said...

I love it! These are such a fun ideas!